HIF’s Emergency Housing Fund offers a lifeline after unforeseen and temporary financial setbacks, acting as a bridge between crisis and stability. An unstable housing situation can arise from any number of unexpected circumstances, such as medical bills, job loss, or COVID-19 related circumstances.
Community members threatened by homelessness and interested in applying for an emergency grant, will be required to demonstrate need and ability to utilize our emergency housing grants for sustained stability up to $2,500.
Requests must meet the following criteria:
- Currently living in San Mateo or Santa Clara County.
- Demonstrate a need due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Complete the online application with all of the requested information, signatures and the requested documents attached.
- Requested funding can only be processed to the landlord/property management or utility company. HIF does not pay the funds directly to applicant.
Applications will be prioritized for approval based on the following:
- Past due rent
- Rent due date
- Household size/composition
- Household Budget must demonstrate that HIF is used as a “last resort” when all funding sources have been exhausted (including current earned & unearned income, savings, family support, etc.)
- For individual and privately owned properties: Due to the increased volume of fraud attempts and the lack of County resources to verify this information, HIF will be restricting funding to these types of applications.
- Applications where landlords are able to provide documents verifying property ownership will be considered on a case by case basis